VAST (Video Ad Serving Template) is an XML-based API response format, standard for video ad delivery. It allows publishers to integrate different demand solutions without developing custom integrations for each partner.
VAST is used for video serving, meaning the basic integration only requires video creative, impression reporting, video events reporting and a click-through link.
Appnext VAST response includes 2 versions of the video (low and high end) as well as additional creative assets for each ad, as optional components.
Only 1 ad is served per call, connecting to the client-side API logic and learning algorithm to decide which ad to serve.
The base VAST API call is the same as our client-side API call, with the following mandatory parameters:
- "id=" (Placement ID)
- "type=vast" (API response format)
- "vast_ver= (vast supported version: "3.0" or "2.0)
- "duration=" (video length: "all", "15" or "30")
VAST Implementation - Best Practices
- When calling the VAST feed from client-side, do not pass the end-user IP in the "&ip=" parameter.
- When calling the VAST feed from the server side, make sure to pass the end-user IP address in the "&ip=" param
- Make sure to include the following VAST components, provided in the VAST response, for each app:
- App icon (must)
- Wide image
- App title (must)
- App description
- App rating
- Number of app installs
- "Install" button is a must to provide your users with a clear call-to-action message.
- Make sure to enable video autoplay when displaying the ad unit.
- Make sure to provide the device Advertising ID, in the "&did=" param, when displaying the ad on mobile.
- Make sure to pass a unique subid for each placement or sub-publisher, in the "&subid=" parameter.
Displaying the provided creative assets and following the above recommendations will dramatically improve CTR and conversion rates.